Saturday, July 07, 2007

I Am the Only Astronaut They Left Behind

I’m still pretty new to the blogging experience in many ways and consequently am still filled with childish glee when getting home from work I find a package on the doormat, which is what happened this week, when those charming fellers Poq sent me their CD.

And it’s full of really cracking songs too, with some really catchy, melancholic choruses that will be floating around my mind for a few weeks. I think when I posted about Poq before I made some laboured point about not liking synthesisers overly much, which is still broadly true, but bands like this do remind you that it’s really all about how you use instruments. Melodies will usually win out. I really like the synths on these tracks.

I think I also banged on about not really knowing anything about the band themselves. So Julian has kindly sent me their press pack, as well as the CD, which tells me that, amongst other things, Pog stands for Piss Off Quickly; that the band are Steven, Chris, David and Julian; that they come from Swansea and that it’s really only now that they’re hitting their stride.

The tracks I’m posting here are Red Admiral and Astronaut which are both slower and more complex numbers than the ones I posted last time, and they're both quite dazzlingly beautiful songs, that showcase the synths sound that I’m newly converted to. Enjoy.

Red Admiral

Astronaut

No comments: