Saturday, May 13, 2006

Now, it's coming back to hunt me down, to haunt my thoughts, to fill my dreams

Pete David & the Payroll Union

It’s a good name, isn’t it? No, I don’t have a clue what it’s about, though you’d think there must be some sort of story there.

Feel a bit guilty about this post being quite a bit late, especially as Pete was good enough to send me his CD, and I’ve hung on to it for a couple of weeks already. I’m not really sure why it’s taken me so long, either (apart from all the obvious reasons), because these are good strong tracks in a determinedly old fashion style, sung in some cases like a mid-sixties politicised folkie.

In fact, the more I listen to and think about them, some of these tracks have a decidedly gothic feel to them that I’ve always found quite compelling. I don’t mean eye-liner and drinking-cider-on-the-steps-of-the-war-memorial sort of gothic – any Marilyn Manson foolish enough to stray onto these pages will be disappointed, I fear. It’s more a Southern Gothic, Tom Joad, sort of man-driven-to-despair-pursued-by-demons-type gothic. Good miserable stuff…

Pete David doesn’t yet have a website but his Myspace page has four downloads you can snag, and I’ve put two of them up here, both of them relentlessly, gut-churningly despondent in tone.[I'm using Savefile here for the first time, let me know if it's not working for you...]

In the Dirt

The Trial of John Sacrifice

Probably not the sort of thing you really want to play your girlfriend… Give it a couple of evenings, at least, I’d say…

No comments: