Monday, October 01, 2007

If you're talking out of turn, if you're talking in turn, uh-oh

Has there ever been a less promising start to a band’s bio section of their website than this:

“In the grand tradition of bands such as Van Halen, Bon Jovi, and Zumpano…”

I’m sure it’s all tongue firmly in cheek, and post-ironic and that, but come on fellers, there are some things you just don’t joke about. (I’m reminded of a friend’s comments on what a great set Robert Plant played at Green Man, this year. I’m sorry I can forgive but I can’t forget. Or, to be honest, forgive, really…)

Gooblar

The point that Gooblar were trying to make is that … er… in common with those bands this London four-piece have taken their band-leader’s surname as their own. But thankfully this is all these boys have in common with the aforementioned back-combed eighties ninnies.

Gooblar play a neat mix of poppy new wave (with a distinctly 1979 feel to it) and more edgy idie stuff which is pretty much hitting the spot right now.

There have been a good few mentions on proper blogs, although none recently, and there’s an EP out now, four tracks of which are freely available at the band’s own website.

I’m posting one of those tracks, because I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere else, but you can pick the others up at your leisure once you’ve taken a hit here. Good stuff… (particularly recommend "Twentieth Century")

Uh-Oh - Gooblar

No comments: