Friday, August 24, 2007

You're with me tonight...


Vetiver


Another Green Man set I saw and was rather impressed with was that by Vetiver. I knew (and you probably all did) that the band are led by Andy Cabic and have spent a lot of time playing with Devendra Banhart and Joanna Newsome. I’ve also heard their first album, but somehow it hasn’t really registered with me.

So I was really rather impressed by their set on the Saturday afternoon, filling the main stage quite easily with what is still rather an unassuming folky sound. The songs were entertaining, and the playing was gentle but assertive – I really enjoyed their performance.

Idle Ties (live) – Vetiver

Hurry On Sundown (live) – Vetiver

I did record most of Vetiver playmate Devendra Banhart’s set the following evening, but I’ve not yet cleaned it up though (or managed to edit out the idiot woman who spent the whole 45 minutes calling out “Will is my Friend”…)

For the time being, though, I’ve got a YouTube video of Little Yellow Spider from the evening (although, he seemed to rechristen it Little White Spider for the evening), and if you’re sharp you’ll notice Vetiver guitarist Saunders Tripp and drummer Otto Hauser making up half of Banhart’s band.



The video was shot by my son, and he’s a very clever boy…

1 comment:

Nic said...

Sweeeet!

Thanks for these. One of the highlights of the Green Man for me was Vetiver's set; a very pleasant surprise.

Unlike Devendra's, I'm sorry to say.