Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Maybe I’m the one who’s already gone…

Well, that’s been an experience!

Green Man 2007

I’ve just come back from Green Man, a tad wet, very grubby but with enthusiasm very much in tact. The weather was, of course, dreadful – it rained all of the Saturday – and the site was quickly turned into a real quagmire. Martin’s Somme analogy, as he left, was not overstating the case in any way, and in fact I had myself been trying to fashion some sort of “trench-foot” joke for these pages.

But anyway, you get the idea.

I have, though, seen some new and interesting artists and some cracking performances by a few I already knew. I’m also particularly pleased that I’ve managed to come back with a beltful of recordings from the weekend, most of which are useable. I did try to make some recordings last year, but none of them were really much good. I got myself sorted out this year, though, and over the next few days I should be able to share a good few with you.

Not really sure what sort of quality people might be expecting, there’s some audience noise and the bass is a bit crackly, but to my ears, what I’ve got is kinda OK. I’d be interested to know what people think…

The first one I’m going to share is one track from the Earlies, a band I sort of knew about, and have their first album, but can’t really say I “got” until I saw their set on the Sunday. Genuinely exciting and full of beautiful surprises, I think it was probably the best set of the weekend. The track I have here is regrettably the only one I recorded (I was saving my battery for Devendra Banhart coming on later that evening), and with hindsight I wish I’d recorded the whole set. Great song, great performance, and easily worth standing ankle deep in mud for – I’d do it again!

One of us is Dead (Live) – The Earlies

1 comment:

Cole said...

Thanks for the 's'!!

I concur with your comments about Green Man. It was a lovely festival and I'll certainly be there next year.