Friday, July 27, 2007

I fear I am becoming ... fixated.

Ignatz

I've recently bought the second Ignatz album, and become increasingly plugged into the first one. If anyone remembers, he was part of the Chapter 24 bill that I wrote about here, although at the time, I didn't really pay him much heed. Slowly and surely, however, I have become more and more of a fan of his corroded, out-there blues. I still don't know a great deal about him, but seeing as how he spent the entire evening pretty much hidden behind a speaker stack, I'm quite comfortable with him remaining a murky figure.


I've managed to find the man's website which is worth a visit, although there are no new downloads I can give away from it, but this YouTube video of his Slak Bar performance has surfaced, again from the fellers at Likal:




And again I have to say how fascinating I find his whole performance, his warped, distorted delivery, his repetitive, industrial blues riffs and the whole literally shrouded-in-obscurity thing he has as he gets on with his business-like performance. I just find it compelling.


Unfortunately, no new MP3s to snag but I do have something from K(RAA)K label mates Tuk who are not dissimilar although not as clearly blues-based as Ignatz. Of course, having made a bit of a thing about Ignatz' layers of obscurity, it makes it easy for me to be lazy about Tuk and offer no information about them either. (Just as well really, I can't even find a Myspace page...)


So here we are, two tracks from Tuk, which are available from the K(RAA)K website, and which are similarly obscure and brilliant (if you can be both things, at the same time)




No comments: