Thursday, May 24, 2007

It doesn't matter that the sun don't shine, It only matters that the sun is in our hearts

Great though those Madagascar tracks are they’re not really staple PP fare, in that they’re not ticking any of the boxes that I try to stick to with this blog. (Not British, not new and not ever likely to get a chance to see them.)

Here’s something a bit more like it…

Poq

I don’t really go a bundle on synthesisers and by and large the eighties were hardly for me a golden era. So I find it hard to take seriously the current trend in Indie pop to revert to some of the blunt and bouncy traits of that time. Well, tomorrow evening, bright young things the New Young Pony Club are coming to the Guild Hall and I shall not be going, for those reasons. Although, I am tempted to turn up just to picket the place. C’mon, lads, think of the children!

By now, if you’re particularly sharp (and still with me), you might have guessed that I’m slowly working my way round to doing one of those “exception that proves the rule” type devices.

Poq, though, are another Welsh band gigging around the area – they recently supported the Toy Band – and they use electronics pretty effectively. They are in fact the exception that proves the rule (see!) as far as synth bands are concerned, and they do a nice line in proper pop songs.

This dog it won’t stop barking
Fills my head with things I’d best forget
All night it calls unanswered
Cries for help that fade into the dark

Apart from the fact that they’ve done a session for Channel 4 and have made a few appearances on various radio stations, their Myspace page doesn’t really give much away about the band themselves apart from “50% of the band went to university, the other 2 have asthma”.

So much for in depth background knowledge… Did I mention they were from Wales?

The Myspace page is worth visiting, though in that they seem to update their blog pretty regularly, but the jukebox doesn’t seem to allow for downloads any more. I say “any more” because somehow I’ve got three tracks that I’m going to post here, although I’m not sure how I got them.

Come and Join the Mob

The Hi-Tec

Loud Dogs Next Door

1 comment:

Pituco said...

thanks to visit my bar, I hope that it returns all the days are new features.
his blog is very interesting, adds it to my favorites