Thursday, April 13, 2006

Don’t Wanna Hang For This…

My Broken 101

My Broken 101 count as three of their influences The Stooges, The Pretty Things (although not the Small Faces) and King Tubby, which is a fair old mix, I think. They are from Bournemouth on the South Coast and describe themselves as being “like a modern day Velvet underground," and that "the sound slides from white noise to melodic blissed out drops of psyclobin induced hypnosis”.

(Did you get that? Not sure I did… images of street luge-style wheelie bins come pleasingly to mind though I’m guessing we’re not talking that sort of psyclobin this time.)

Can’t argue with the “blissed out” part, though, there’s a real Primal Scream / Stone Roses vibe going on here, with loads of … sorry I can’t think of a better word than “swirling” guitars, and you get the impression their gigs must be pretty exotic affairs, as you can find out if you’re any where near Bournemouth, Boscambe or Nuneaton over the next weeks (see Myspace for the details). The vocals are way down in the mix in the best My Bloody Valentine and Spacemen 3 traditions, so I’m taking a bit of a stab in the dark with the title quote. Perhaps someone can tell me if I’ve got it wrapped round my neck?

They’ve written a cracking profile on their Myspace page, it has to be said, which knocks spots of the usual “currently gigging on my own … er… that’s about all” type profiles that you see a lot (if you spend too much time lurking around Myspace, that is). This is what My Broken 101 say their mission in life is:

To destroy all coffee table supermarket music and bring the danger and excitement back into a rock’n’roll revolution. Hail Hail Rock’n’roll!

(Would it be patronizing to say, “Ah, bless…” at this point?)

I’m posting two songs, the first is “Monday’s Tune”, of which there’s another version on the Myspace page (it's almost as good as this one). The second track “dubbroken” gives them a more of a breakbeats-type sound, where you can see the King Tubby influences introducing themselves.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you My Broken 101…

Monday's Tune

Dubbroken

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listen to this:
http://www.myspace.com/pennycentury
Hope you like it!